Karen E. Bhaskar MD
American Board of Ophthalmology
Dr. Bhaskar received her medical degree from Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine in Maywood, Ill. She completed her internship at Northwestern University Graduate Medical School in Chicago, Ill., and completed her residency in ophthalmology at Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine in Norfolk, Va. Before joining The Polyclinic, Dr. Bhaskar practiced ophthalmology for 22 years across the Wisconsin and Illinois state lines.
"I was drawn to the study of the life sciences as a child and have a bachelor of science degree in Biology from Hope College. Becoming a physician was a natural progression stemming from this interest combined with my desire to help people. I find the field of Ophthalmology fascinating in its depth, rapid pace of scientific advancement, and impact on people’s lives."
Dr. Bhaskar is experienced in diagnosing and treating a broad range of conditions encountered as a general ophthalmologist including:
- Cataracts, including evaluation and surgery with standard, toric, and multifocal lens implants
- Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, and Diabetic Retinopathy evaluation and management
- Dry eye and Blepharitis evaluation and treatment
- Urgent eye conditions such as corneal abrasions and foreign bodies, evaluation of floaters, double vision, and vision loss
Outside of work, Dr. Bhaskar enjoys spending time with her family, cooking, traveling, and exploring the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
"A patient’s vision and health are interconnected. Being part of a multi-specialty health care organization facilitates collaboration with my patient’s primary care provider and other specialists to provide comprehensive care. My goal every day is to help my patients achieve their best vision and health by providing thorough eye examinations with experienced, evidence-based diagnosis and treatment plans."
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Active Member of the Washington Association of Eye Physicians and Surgeons