Susan Baumgaertel MD
*Open to new patients for the Menu for Change program; limited availability for new primary care patients in the Partnership in Health program.
American Board of Internal Medicine
Dr. Baumgaertel received her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Washington School of Medicine and went on to complete her residency at the University of Washington Department of Medicine, including a rotation as chief resident at Swedish Medical Center.
Dr. Baumgaertel's practice encompasses all areas of internal medicine including preventive medicine, women's health, menopausal concerns, osteoporosis, and managing complex medical problems all in the spirit of compassion and caring. Dr. Baumgaertel serves as medical director of Menu for Change program, an innovative weight management wellness program.
A Seattle native, Dr. Baumgaertel lived in Ontario, Canada during her childhood, returning to Seattle as an adult. Prior to medical school she followed her interests in architecture and completed a degree in architecture and urban planning. Married since 1991, she and her husband Glenn spend most of their spare time with their daughter Jennifer who is in high school. Family interests include many outdoor activities, restaurant patronage, movies, music and reading.
"My patients receive personalized comprehensive care with ‘open access' and ‘no wait' policies. They appreciate the sharing of information and respect for differences in our focus on better physical and mental health."
“Over the years, I became very moved by the many stories of people struggling to lose weight. While each story was unique, there were also so many similarities that my interest in providing weight loss services intensified. I networked with researchers and specialists around the country and in other countries, and got excited to see other ways to approach weight loss treatment. These relationships inspired me to develop the Menu for Change program, which ultimately developed into a rich tapestry of offerings.”
- Clinical assistant professor of medicine, University of Washington Department of Medicine
- Internal Medicine Teaching Panel at Swedish Medical Center Department of Medical Education
- Menu for Change lecture series (2012 – present)
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (national audio conference)
- YMCA Wellness leadership conference for Washington and Oregon (2014)
- The Best Doctors in America (2002 – 2015)
- America’s Top Physicians (2004 – 2008)
- Seattle Met Top Doctors (2011 – 2014)
- Seattle Magazine Top Doctors (2014)
- American Diabetes Association and National Committee for Quality Assurance for delivery of quality diabetes care (2006 – 2012)
- American Heart Association /American Stroke Association and National Committee for Quality Assurance for delivery of quality stroke and cardiovascular care (2007 – 2013)
- Primary Care Section Chief at The Polyclinic (1999 – 2000)
- Chair of The Polyclinic Quality Management Committee (2002 – 2004)
- Medical Informatics Physician Champion for Electronic Health Record rollout at The Polyclinic, and Chair of the Technology Committee
- Member of The Polyclinic Integrative Medicine Committee (2015 – present)