American Board of Dermatology
Dr. Kelly Griffith-Bauer received her medical degree from Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Ore. She completed a one-year internship in internal medicine at Providence St. Vincent’s in Portland followed by a dermatology residency at Oregon Health & Science University where she was also chief resident. Dr. Griffith-Bauer also completed a Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology Fellowship at the prestigious University of California in San Francisco.
“I fell in love with dermatology as a teenager as I observed the emotional transformation of my peers from happy child to self-conscious adolescent when riddled with acne bumps. The thought that some people were literally branded with their disease gripped my heart. In medical school, though I thoroughly enjoyed exploring multiple clinic specialties, dermatology remained my passion as I remained fascinated with the interplay of a clinical diagnosis and the psychosocial burden of wearing a disease outside for the world to see. During residency, my time spent in the surgical unit was transformational as I observed how surgical scars influenced the quality of life of melanoma survivors. The juxtaposition of medicine, pathology, surgery, and psychology in Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology, combined with the wonderful patient population and team environment solidified my career-choice in dermatology, surgery, and patient-centered medicine.”
- Mohs Surgery: Dr. Griffith-Bauer’s Mohs surgery practice specializes in skin cancer surgery, including Mohs micrographic surgery and reconstruction, excision of non-melanoma skin cancers, and melanoma.
- Dermatology: Dr. Griffith-Bauer’s dermatology practice has a focus on skin cancer detection and management, surgical and cosmetic adult dermatology. She has advanced training in laser and cosmetic surgery. Many providers refer to Dr. Bauer when certain diagnoses require excisions, including:
- Non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC)
- Atypical moles
- Ear lobe repair
Dr. Griffith-Bauer has spent most of her life in the Pacific Northwest and has a deep appreciation for this beautiful part of the country. You will often find her running, cycling, camping, hiking, or skiing in our incredible outdoor spaces with her husband, Jeremy, son, Braxton, and rescue dog, Sami. In addition, Dr. Griffith-Bauer is a photographer and loves taking natural light photographs of the people in her life. She is always looking for creative ways to incorporate her creative side into her work as a dermatologist (See media links below).
“With true, experience-born empathy, I aim to provide leading edge, evidence-based dermatological and surgical care with a patient-centered focus. I use the same care with my patients that I would with my own family.”
Dr. Griffith-Bauer has conducted research focused on Quality of Life (QOL) in melanoma survivors. Her novel research uses studio photography sessions and photographs as an intervention to improve Quality of Life of melanoma survivors while also creating a means to raise awareness for melanoma via her Melanoma Scar Project (See media links below).
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American College of Mohs Surgery
- 2017 Ettelson Award for Dermatologic Research, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Ore.
- 2018 Women of Excellence Keynote Speaker, YWCA, St. Joseph, Mo.
- Project Highlights Skin Cancer Survivors, KGW8 News
- In Depth: Show Off Your Scars, KXL Morning News
- 2017 ‘War on Skin Cancer Event’ aims to better understand why family matters with a melanoma diagnosis, OHSU
- 2017 Ettelson Fund Recipient: Kelly Griffith-Bauer - SCAR Project, OHSU
- Student overcomes incredible odds, earns Doctor of Medicine, OHSU
Below is a video featuring Dr. Kelly Griffith-Bauer. Watch more videos from The Polyclinic on our YouTube channel.