Primal Pathway Program
The cornerstone of the Lifestyle and Metabolic Medicine department is our Primal Pathway Program.
Who benefits from the Primal Pathway Program?
Patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 30 and/or those who struggle with health conditions such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, fatty liver, and women with PCOS. Calculate Your BMI.
Is Primal Pathway covered by insurance?
Primal Pathway visits are covered by most commercial insurance plans with no copay or deductible for those who have a BMI greater than 30, as they are considered to be a preventive health benefit mandated by the Affordable Care Act. For patients with a BMI of 25 to 30 (who are overweight but not clinically obese), insurance coverage varies.
What can I expect from the Primal Pathway Program?
Patients schedule one initial consultation visit with Dr. Sharp or Jasmine, attend four group classes (one class per week) led by Jasmine, and schedule as many educational follow-up visits with Jasmine as needed. All patients schedule one medical follow-up visit with Dr. Greg Sharp, the physician overseeing the program, every six to 12 weeks, depending on individual participation in the program. For patients on any blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, or weight management medications, we schedule monthly visits with Dr. Sharp for the first three to six months and less frequently thereafter depending on patient needs.
When are Primal Pathway sessions held?
Group classes are held Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 5 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. and Thursdays at 11:30 a.m.
What topics are covered in your class?
Primal Pathway Program Outline
- Introductions and Basic Program Overview
- Dietary Fats
- Goal Setting, Behavior Change and Strategies for Success
- Stress and Emotional Eating
- Physical Activity #1 – The truth about exercise and how to get started
- Physical Activity #2 – Best types of exercise and making it a part of your life
- Dining Out – How to maintain your new healthy lifestyle without deprivation
- Meal Timing and Intermittent Fasting
- Screen Overdose and Sleep/Circadian Rhythms
- What now? Recap/Feedback and continuing with the program
Scheduling: Call our patient scheduling line at 206-860-5499 to sign up for the Lifestyle and Metabolic Medicine Program.
Questions: Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for full details.