Injury to the hand can be a mild annoyance to some people, but be a severely disabling event to most. The inability to use one’s hand causes serious limitations in one’s ability to perform daily functions, play in a sport, engage in favorite leisure pursuits, or earn a livelihood.
If you have recently had an injury to your hand that required surgery or reconstruction, you will want the services of a Certified Hand Therapist.
A Certified Hand Therapist performs the following:
- Perform a comprehensive assessment of the hand and arm
- Identify functional limitations or disability resulting from the hand injury
- Determine potential for recovery of function
- Fabricate custom splints and orthotics
- Utilize manual techniques to restore mobility, reduce pain and improve tissue healing
- Utilize therapeutic exercises to improve strength, range of motion and function
- Provide instruction on performance of activities of daily living, work and leisure activities during recovery
- Help patient to return to maximal function, whether at work or at play