Oral glucose tolerance testing (OGTT) is a way to to screen for gestational diabetes. Based on the results of your OGTT, we can develop a personalized treatment plan for you.
What to do after your test results
You will be called promptly with the results of your OGTT.
If the test result is negative:
You do not have gestational diabetes. You don’t need to do anything further. If you still have questions or concerns, ask your doctor.
If test results are positive:
This may indicate you have gestational diabetes. Your OB provider will refer you to call and schedule an appointment with a dietitian in our Polyclinic Gestational Diabetes Self-Management Education program.
- Call 206-860-2208 within a week of your test results to schedule an appointment.
- During this first visit, our dietitians will teach you about nutrition and self-monitoring tools to keep your blood sugar stable. You will receive a blood glucose meter at this visit.
- Start following a healthy gestational diabetes diet. Tips include:
- Avoid regular soda, juice and other sugar/sweetened beverage
- Avoid sweets and desserts.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals and snacks.
- Follow the Plate Method guidelines.