Radiation treatment of your head and neck can increase your chances of getting cavities. Mouth care to prevent problems, including daily flouride treatments, may be part of your treatment. Chemotherapy also can make you more likely to get cavities.
Both fluoride applications are to be done twice a day for six weeks, then once a month indefinitely.
- Cleanse mouth thoroughly using proper brushing and flossing techniques. The tooth surface must be clean in order for the fluoride to be effective.
- Apply a lining of Gell-II 1.23% APF gel to each tray. Do not over fill the trays. Spread the gel with a cotton swab.
- Place upper and lower fluoride trays in mouth for two minutes. You may place one tray at a time, but each tray must be left in place for two minutes.
- Remove trays and empty mouth of excess fluoride.
- DO NOT RINSE MOUTH!
- Rinse trays in lukewarm water.
- Apply Gel-Kam .4% stannous floride to soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Brush teeth with the Gel-Kam flouride for two minutes. Add gel to toothbrush as needed.
- Cover all surfaces of the teeth with a gentle brushing motion.
- Empty mouth of excess fluoride.
- DO NOT RINSE OR EAT FOR ½ HOUR