What is a tumor board?
When the diagnosis is breast cancer, patients want the best possible treatment options. Tumor boards are established to bring together a broad range of medical/clinical experts who specialize in diagnosing and treating cancer to share their expertise and recommend the optimal treatment plan for each patient.
At The Polyclinic, Dr. F. Ames Smith, the Breast Surgery Medical Director, chairs the Breast Cancer Tumor Board, a group of specialists who meet on a weekly basis at The Polyclinic. Although patients have one specialist who supervises their care, the Tumor Board discussion allows the physician who is coordinating the patient’s care to gain input from many health care professionals in many specialties. The collective expertise of this group is combined to give each patient the best chance for recovery.
Breast Cancer Tumor Board Members
- F. Ames Smith, MD, The Polyclinic Breast Surgery Medical Director
- Arpita Swami, MD, The Polyclinic Diagnostic Imaging
- Daniel Burns, MD, The Polyclinic Oncology/Hematology
- Juan de la Ossa, MD, The Polyclinic General Surgery
- Frank Isik, MD, The Polyclinic Plastic Surgery
- Jeffrey Kyllo, MD, The Polyclinic Plastic Surgery
- Henry Li, MD, The Polyclinic Oncology/Hematology
- Marianne Lotito, Myriad Genetics
- Astrid Morris, MD, Swedish Radiation Oncology
- Dechie Rapoport, PT, The Polyclinic Physical Therapy Manager
- Melanie Rozelle-Trosper, RN, The Polyclinic Surgery Program Patient Navigator
- Kim Schliesman, Myriad Genetics
- Sean Thornton, MD, The Polyclinic Pathology
- Drew Welk, MD, The Polyclinic Plastic Surgery