Our breast surgery program is led by Dr. F. Ames Smith, Jr., Breast Surgery Medical Director, whose focus has been on quality and multi-disciplinary coordinated care since beginning private practice in 1990. While not all breast issues require surgery, Dr. Smith’s education and experience make him an expert in both surgical and non-surgical treatment of breast problems.
In addition, he serves as Director of our Hereditary Cancer Risk Program to identify and manage gene mutation, which can be associated with extraordinary high risk for various types of cancer including breast, ovarian, uterine, colon, pancreatic, stomach as well as certain other cancers.
At The Polyclinic, the Breast Surgery Program focuses exclusively on the diseases of the breast, including treatment of breast pain, atypical tissue, cysts, cancer, and any issue related to the breast. Among the surgical procedures performed are:
- Nipple sparing mastectomy
- Total mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Breast biopsies
- Oncoplastic surgery of the breast (improves cosmetic and oncologic outcomes with complex breast lumpectomies)
As a multi-specialty clinic with on-site diagnostic and treatment services, we are able to coordinate all of your care related to your breast health.
Compassionate Care, Top Results
Learn more about our approach to breast surgery and listen to patients share why choosing The Polyclinic for breast surgery provided strong support and outcomes.
Meet Our Breast Surgeon
F. Ames Smith Jr. MD, FACS
Breast Surgeon and Breast Surgery Medical Director
Dr. Smith’s philosophy of care is that collaboration between physicians, medical experts and the patient results in the best outcomes.
As a physician at The Polyclinic, he has easy access to colleagues from all kinds of specialties with whom he can consult, learn and collaborate to achieve excellent results in patient care.
Patient education is a passion of Dr. Smith’s and he will do all he can to make sure each patient understands his or her condition, any treatment needs, how and why a procedure may be done, and how to move forward in better health.
Dr. Smith is board certified in general surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Since entering practice in 1990, Dr. Smith has had a special interest in breast cancer surgery and has made that the exclusive focus of his practice since 2009. Prior to joining The Polyclinic in 2012, he was with Surgical Associates of Austin, Texas, a well-known multi-specialty surgery group where he has successfully led that group as president for the past 10 years. In addition to technical expertise, Dr. Smith brings a genuine empathy and compassion to the care of his patients.
Comprehensive Care at The Polyclinic
Coordinated and collaborative care sets The Polyclinic apart from many other health care providers.
- We have a weekly breast tumor board which facilitates coordination among our medical oncologists, breast radiologists, radiation oncologists, and of course the patient’s primary care provider.
- We provide access to other specialties. We have nutritionists, physical therapists, and other medical experts to help. Our team will be an integral part of your care and coordination of services.
A Personalized Game Plan for Breast Surgery
Watch Linnea's story to see how our breast surgeons work with patients to personalize their treatment plan.
First Hill Surgery Center
If your physician recommends surgery, he might schedule it at First Hill Surgery Center, The Polyclinic’s ambulatory or outpatient surgery center. First Hill Surgery Center is located in the heart of Seattle’s First Hill medical community and is one of the largest independent outpatient surgery centers in the region. A joint venture between The Polyclinic and Swedish Medical Center, First Hill Surgery Center features the latest surgical technology in a patient-friendly setting. Some procedures that may be performed in this facility include, but are not limited to:
- Excisional biopsy
- Lymph node dissection
More information about First Hill Surgery Center.
Learn more about other related services at The Polyclinic:
- The Polyclinic has a modern and comfortable Breast Imaging Center, plus 3D mammogram screening (tomosynthesis) at our Madison Center location.
- If your medical oncologist recommends chemotherapy, you will have access to the infusion services center at our new Madison Center clinic, a showcase in comfort and patient-centered care. It’s located on the fifth floor, and all chairs face the large windows, giving patients a beautiful view, privacy, and comfort. And our compassionate staff recognizes that the process of treating cancer can be tiring, uncomfortable and sometimes painful, so they are always available to make your visit as comfortable as possible