“We’ll get you through this, step by step. We don’t just hand you off to someone else. I know it’s scary, but we will be there for you.”- Dr. F. Ames Smith, Breast Surgery Medical Director
The Polyclinic is well known for our diagnostic and medical oncology services, and we are pleased to have as part of our breast health and cancer care program, Dr. F. Ames Smith, Jr., Breast Surgery Medical Director, and Dr. Mikki Seagren, Breast Surgeon. While not all breast issues require surgery, these specialists' education and experience make them experts in both surgical and non-surgical treatment of breast problems.
We have an active screening program to identify BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations as well as mutations in other genes, which can put women at higher risk for breast, ovarian, uterine, and colon cancer as well as other cancers.
At The Polyclinic, the Breast Surgery Program focuses exclusively on the diseases of the breast, including treatment of breast pain, atypical tissue, cysts, cancer, and any issue related to the breast. Among the surgical procedures performed are:
- Nipple sparing mastectomy
- Total mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Breast biopsies
- Oncoplastic surgery of the breast (improves cosmetic and oncologic outcomes with complex breast lumpectomies)
As a multi-specialty clinic with on-site diagnostic and treatment services, we are able to coordinate all of your care related to your breast health.
Compassionate Care, Top Results
Learn more about our approach to breast surgery and listen to patients share why choosing The Polyclinic for breast surgery provided strong support and outcomes.
Meet Our Breast Surgeons
F. Ames Smith Jr. MD, FACS
Breast Surgeon and Breast Surgery Medical Director
Dr. Smith’s philosophy of care is that collaboration between physicians, medical experts and the patient results in the best outcomes. His decision to come to The Polyclinic was based in large part on our model of shared expertise, where physicians have easy access to colleagues from all kinds of specialties with whom they can consult, learn and share. Patient education is a passion of Dr. Smith’s and he will do all he can to make sure each patient understands his or her condition, any treatment needs, how and why a procedure may be done, and how to move forward in better health.
Dr. Smith is board certified in general surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Since entering practice in 1990, Dr. Smith has had a special interest in breast cancer surgery and has made that the exclusive focus of his practice since 2009. Prior to joining The Polyclinic, he was with Surgical Associates of Austin, Texas, a well-known multi-specialty surgery group where he has successfully led that group as president for the past 10 years. In addition to technical expertise, Dr. Smith brings a genuine empathy and compassion to the care of his patients.
Mikki Seagren DO
Dr. Seagren believes the doctor-patient relationship is the key to helping her patients navigate through what can sometimes be an overwhelming experience. She approaches every patient with compassion and strives to always provide clear information. She believes this encourages open communication and creates an environment that allows the patient to be an active participant in shared decision making.
Dr. Seagren is a general surgeon, specializing in the treatment of breast cancer. She is board certified by the American Board of Surgery and has completed a Society of Surgical Oncology accredited breast surgical oncology fellowship at the University of California San Francisco. Her breast surgery practice incorporates all aspects of the surgical management of breast disease, with a special emphasis on the coordination of care for patients with breast cancer and the surgical treatment of breast cancer. As a fellowship trained breast surgeon, Dr. Seagren's experience with managing breast cancer is multidisciplinary, including medical oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, pathology, genetics, and surgery.
Comprehensive Care at The Polyclinic
Coordinated and collaborative care sets The Polyclinic apart from many other health care providers.
- We have a weekly breast tumor board which facilitates coordination among our medical oncologists, breast radiologists, radiation oncologists, and of course the patient’s primary care provider.
- We provide access to other specialties. We have nutritionists, physical therapists, and other medical experts to help. Our team will be an integral part of your care and coordination of services.
A Personalized Game Plan for Breast Surgery
Watch Linnea's story to see how our breast surgeons work with
patients to personalize their treatment plan.
Learn more about other related services at The Polyclinic:
- The Polyclinic has a modern and comfortable Breast Imaging Center, plus 3D mammogram screening (tomosynthesis) at our Madison Center clinic.
- Should you require outpatient surgery, we will schedule your procedure at First Hill Surgery Center. The modern facility has dedicated surgical staff and offers a comfortable and convenient environment for patients and families.
- If your medical oncologist recommends chemotherapy, you will have access to the infusion services center at our new Madison Center clinic, a showcase in comfort and patient-centered care. It’s located on the fifth floor, and all chairs face the large windows, giving patients a beautiful view, privacy, and comfort. And our compassionate staff recognizes that the process of treating cancer can be tiring, uncomfortable and sometimes painful, so they are always available to make your visit as comfortable as possible